Coffee and Walnut Cake

12:04


Now this is definitely one of my top five favourite cakes. Three layers of deliciously moist coffee flavoured sponge, studded with walnut pieces and soaked in a dark coffee syrup. I make this cake now and again for a local health clubs' cafe (ironic, I know) but this week I decided to make it for my Dad's birthday so that me and my family could all indulge in a few slices!


I normally layer the cake with a coffee butter icing, but as this is rather sweet I decided instead to make a coffee custard buttercream (unfortunately my family don't like sugar as much as I do!). This is essentially a custard, with butter beaten into the mixture once cool to make a smooth and spreadable icing. This was quite a risky icing to make, as there is a chance that the mixture could curdle once the butter is added. Luckily, I didn't have any problems and was very happy with the finished result! It was lovely and light with a good coffee flavour and teamed perfectly with the coffee sponge.


Despite this, I am in two minds about the icing. As much as I like the smooth and creamy light texture it has, the flavour is slightly too buttery and not quite sweet enough for me. I think butter icing is still my firm favourite (I can literally eat the stuff with a spoon).
Anyway, the cake went down well with all (even my sister who doesn't like coffee or walnuts!) and there is only a small chunk left.
Gosh I love birthdays- why? - CAKE

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images