The finished wedding cake!

16:02

Today I feel a great sense of satisfaction. I have finally finished my first ever wedding cake! It has been a long and difficult process but I'm really happy with the finished cake and it has certainly been worth all the effort!

Once I had iced each tier, I drew out the dress design on a sheet of tracing paper and used this to print it onto the actual cake. I decided to repeat the design around the bottom tier and third tier, and draw a small section of the design on the sides of the other two tiers.



This was an extremely time consuming process, and piping the designs required a very steady hand! Once I started piping, I suddenly thought 'oh my god what am I doing, this is far beyond my capabilities!'. However, I kept going and when I stood back and looked at what I had done, it was far better than I had imagined! Things always look better from a distance !


On the second to top tier, I added the year and initials of the bride and groom to make it even more personal. Sarah had also bought 'S & D' diamante wedding cake toppers which I think looked great on top of the cake and really finished it off.



Once I had preperared each tier, it was time to dowel them. This requires inserting wooden or plastic rods into each cake in order to support the weight of the cake above it (otherwise the whole thing would collapse-not good!). Last time I used dowels, my Dad was around to cut them to the right size for me. Unforunately he has been away this week so my poor mother had the job of sawing each dowel to the right size....much more difficult than we initially thought! However, after an hour of hard work sawing away, we finally got there and I was able to stack the cakes. So are you ready to see the finished cake? Well....here it is!



And just a few more close up shots....



Sarah was really pleased with the cake and I feel so privileged to have made something for such a special day in her life. Today is the day of her wedding, and I hope that it is everything that she dreamed of. Sarah looked as beautiful as ever and I'm sure Darren feels a very lucky man! Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the bride but as soon as I get my hands on some I will post a few on my blog just to show you all how wonderful she looked.

I have completed my wedding cake challenge and I hope that I will keep improving :)
All the best for the future Sarah! x

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Wowee! This is beautiful Claire, nice one. So sweet of you to put so much cre into its preparation, I'm not surprised Sarah was delighted with it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake is beautiful!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I mentioned this post and linked to it in my most recent blog post (at http://somesomeandsome.blogspot.com/2011/06/seven-randoms-blog-posts-ive-enjoyed.html). I hope that is okay? I love your cakes - you are so talented!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Becky,
    I really appreciate that you have linked this to your recent blog post. Thanks for your kind comments :)
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pleasure! You are very talented and I love seeing what you've created! B

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning. I'd never manage a steady enough hand to do this. Seriously impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Nikki :) I must say, my hand did start to shake quite a bit after a while but I was determined to finish it!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images