Vanilla Cupcakes for a Naming Ceremony

12:05

A naming ceremony is not something I am familiar with, but as far as I'm aware it is similar to a christening, except non-religious. The ceremony involves the naming of the child (not suprisingly!), promises of commitment to the child from the adults who will be involved in the child's life, as well as readings and music.
A young couple, Barry and Lisa, kindly asked me if I could make 50 vanilla cupcakes for the naming ceremony of their son Jack. I was very happy to do this and felt very excited about designing the cakes for such a special event.


They already had their own ideas on how they wanted the cupcakes to be decorated, and Lisa sent me some photos of some designs that she had found online. We decided on 25 cupcakes with butter icing swirls and appropriately themed sprinkles, and 25 with fondant icing and baby faces made out of icing. Half of the cupcakes I would also fill with raspberry jam- something which I think works really well and gives people a nice suprise when they take the first bite!




I was asked if I could do the baby faces with more hair than normal, as apparently their son has rather a full head of hair! I drew a few diagrams, and finally decided on the one I was going to use. I used a small round pastry cutter to cut the faces out of icing, but making the hair out of icing was rather fiddly!


For the cupcakes with the butter icing, I cut little teddy bears out of blue icing and piped out baby feet using white royal icing. I thought these would make great baby-themed cupcake toppers, rather than sprinkles.



I was so happy that Barry and Lisa were pleased with the finished cupcakes and I hope that everybody at the naming ceremony thoroughly enjoyed them too!


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Love them! I can't help visiting your blog and just admiring your talent! Did you cut the toppers with cutters or your own template?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, thanks for your comment. I had a cutter for the teddies but I piped out the feet and made my own templates for the baby faces. Time consuming but worth it in the end!
    -Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely worth it in the end! I can't decide which topper I like best!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images