My first wedding cake: Day 2!

15:51


Okay so my cakes are made so the next step is to fill the layers with butter icing and cover each tier with icing. I think the most difficult part of this is slicing the cake layers in half- I always seem to struggle with cutting them evenly! However, I think I did quite a good job this time as I kept my knife straight and guided the knife into the cake by rotating it on a turntable stand.


I baked the chocolate cake in two seperate layers, so all I had to do was trim the tops off each layer. Once this was done, I sandwiched them together with chocolate butter icing, before covering the whole cake in icing to seal in the crumbs and create a moist layer for the roll-out icing to stick to.


For the top tier, I have made a moist lemon cake, one of my favourite recipes. Again, this is sandwiched together with butter icing but I have also added in some of my homemade lemon curd for that extra zestyness!



Now you might be wondering how I plan to decorate the finished cakes. I only actually decided on the design a few days ago when a great idea popped into my head- I could use the pattern on Sarah's wedding dress and create a design based on this to pipe around the sides of the cake. I think icing embroidery on cakes looks beautiful, but I had never actually attempted this technique before.....little did I know how hard this would actually be!

Come back tomorrow to see the finished cake!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images