Easter Bakes & Carrot Cake!

16:02

Okay so I know Easter was last weekend, but I thought I'd show you some of the stuff I made over the spring festival. As usual, I baked a simnel cake since me and my family do love a bit of fruit cake, especially when there is some marzipan involved aswel! I won't bore you with the history of simnel cake, as I already did that last year (!) but basically it's a light fruit cake with mixed spice, citrus zest, and a layer of marzipan running through the middle, as well as on top. It is traditionally topped with eleven marzipan balls which represent the eleven apostles-simple!


I also made some classic Lenten biscuits, which are simple but ever so tasty crunchy little biscuits, packed with currants, mixed peel and sprinkled with a generous helping of caster sugar.

I love making things that taste delicious but look pretty too, so I had a go at some Easter bonnet biscuits. These are vanilla sable biscuits with a marshmallow on top to make the hat shape, and a coating of coloured royal icing. I finished mine with some simple piping and icing flowers- pretty effective huh?


Ok, so my final Easter bake, and probably my favourite this year, carrot cake complete with marzipan bunnies, carrots and chocolate mini eggs! I actually made this for my sister's birthday as it fell on Easter Monday this year, and so it just seemed right to make her an Easter themed cake!


For the cake, I took a risk and used a different recipe to my norm-but boy I'm glad I did as it turned out to be an absolute delight! The sponge was packed with carrot and raisins but also contained dessicated coconut which gave it an interesting texture without imparting an overpowering coconut flavour. I took the recipe from Claire Clark's book, Desserts, which has a great selection of recipes and some lovely photos.


Unfortunately my icing was a bit of a disaster, as cream cheese always seems to turn into a sloppy mess when I try and convert it into a sweet icing! In the end I had to add nearly a whole pack of icing sugar just to get it to a spreadable consistency, and by the time I had done that you could barely taste the cream cheese so I may as well have just made butter icing! Never mind, atleast I didn't actually use it all and so hopefully my teeth won't be dropping out any time soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images