Cakes for men!

16:32


I often find it a little difficult when asked if I can make a cake for a male. It seems to be quite a challenge coming up with a general theme, and trying to make the cake look 'manly' ! It is far easier when decorating cakes for girls as the possibilities are endless- hearts, flowers, butterflies etc!


I usually try and find out about the persons' personality, hobbies and interests before deciding on a design, but again this isn't always an easy task! Luckily, this time I was given quite clear instructions, and I was able to design the following two cakes (fairly!) easily.


The first was a 60th birthday cake for the dad of a friend of mine. She told me that he supports Burnley football team and so I painted the team logo onto an icing plaque using food colouring, which was placed in the centre of the cake. To stick with the theme, I used the team colours to cut out lots of '60s' from icing to decorate the top and sides.


My second cake was a 'Thank you' cake for a man named Pete, who apparently likes old steam trains, singing, and growing fushias with his wife! I managed to get all three of these themes onto the cake by painting a steam train and flowers on the top, and decorating the sides of the cake with musical notes. Using food colour pastes and powders to paint on cakes is a great method when you need to do an intricate design.


To do the musical notes around the sides, I used my edible black pen- a brilliant tool for writing script on cakes as it is finer than a brush.


I know that my hard work paid off as I heard that Nick and Pete were very pleased with their cakes, and I hope that they both enjoyed eating the first slice!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images