Trick or Treat?

16:50


It's that time of year again and I've been looking forward to getting in the kitchen and baking some halloween themed goodies. I haven't made cupcakes in a while so I decided on baking these, plus some tombstone shaped shortbread. 

Earlier on in the year I bought a book called Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery by Martha Swift and Lisa Thomas, owners of the famous Primrose bakery in London. It's a great book with a variety of cupcake recipes and some lovely pictures. I hadn't actually tried out any of the recipes until now and I'm wondering why I waited so long as the cupcakes were absolutely delightful! The first recipe I chose was for vanilla cupcakes, although I substitued the vanilla extract for almond and added a little cherry jam to make vampirish cherry and almond ones instead.


I also made a batch of chocolate cupcakes and decorated them in butter icing that I dyed with red food colouring for a devilish twist! For the devil horns I used broken bits of Cadburys giant buttons-yum!


Along with the cupcakes I baked some shortbread which I flavoured with orange peel and cut into tombstone shapes. I then half coated these in milk chocolate and finished them off by icing 'RIP'- quite difficult to do when the biscuits are coated with sugar as the icing does not stick very well!

Next week I'll be using up the flesh from the pumpkin I carved- I'm thinking pumpkin pie maybe? If you have any other suggestions for baking with pumpkin please let me know :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images