trying to find the perfect chocolate cake...and gluten free

07:38


A good chocolate cake is one of lifes little pleasures that nobody should go without. This is one of the reasons I really wanted to have a go at making one that tastes delicious but is also gluten free. I have some great recipes for moist and fudgy chocolate cakes but instead of using one of these and trying to make it gluten free I decided to find a new recipe. I came across one on taste.com that contains both cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate to give a really deep chocolate flavour so I thought this would be a good one to go for.

The cake is made using the creaming method but instead of adding the eggs whole, they are seperated and the whites beaten until they form soft peaks. These are then folded into the mixture once all the other ingredients have been added. I guess this is to help the cake rise and give it a light texture. However, although the cake did rise, I found that the sponge was actually quite dense- not necessarily a bad thing though!


The cake did have a lovely deep chocolate flavour and was fairly moist, however my search for the 'perfect' gluten free chocolate cake is certainly not over. There are plenty of recipes out there and I will continue to experiment until I find my favourite!
What makes a perfect chocolate cake for you? Let me know!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This cake looks good, although I almost always find the texture of gluten free chocolate cakes to be somewhat inferior to that of their wheaten counterparts.

    I recently gave in at a wedding to the posh-looking chocolate cake. It had a majestic texture and was consistent throughout and nice to eat. Not to mention the fact that nearly 4 hours afterwards I was thinking I would need the hospital and could hardly walk due to severe joint pain. Sick for 2 weeks afterward (I'm coeliac)

    I found a mix from sun flour mills that I plan to order and try soon - their award winning chocolate cake mix. They're based in Idaho in the USA and the product won first prize in two independent competitions.

    The Almost Bourdain blog recently featured a flourless chinese five spice cake recipe which really looked perfect in terms of texture - extremely cake for being flourless and looked fairly easy to make - just need to find the time...

    Meanwhile, on the other hand, I recently found a potential cure for those with gluten intolerance and celiac disease - Dr. Wise's Gluten Relief - I blogged about it at http://wp.me/p1244N-6k

    Thanks for this post! I'd love to hear of anything interesting you discover on this matter too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    thank you for your comment. I am still quite new to gluten free baking and not a coeliac myself so it is interesting to get the feedback from people who do suffer. I would still like to have a go at some other gluten free chocolate cake recipes, I did once find a good recipe for brownies which were scrummy :)
    I hope you find some good recipes !
    Claire

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images