First attempt at gluten free baking...

11:56


I can't say I've never attempted making gluten free products, as I have made florentines and macaroons before which both naturally contain no gluten. However, I have never actually had a go at baking with gluten free flour. This all changed when me and my mum were chatting over coffee about the increasing market for 'free from' products made for special diets. My mum runs the cafe in a local health and fitness club and I also work in there behind the counter so we are both interested in what people like to buy. I have made cakes for her to sell on a couple of occasions (mainly for charity events or to use up over-ripe bananas!) but as it is a health club, cake is not always the biggest seller! After our little discussion, she said to me that if I could make some good cakes that were made for special diets, she would consider buying them off me to sell on to customers. This was an offer I just could not refuse given my love for baking, so I got straight on and had a browse through my recipe books. I really wanted to create a gluten free cake that was moist and tasty- unlike a lot of the products found in the supermarket. Eventually I came across a recipe for a gluten free rich fruit cake which is packed with dried fruit soaked in orange juice for that extra moistness factor.

I was really nearvous about how the cake would turn out but when I cut into it I knew it was a winner. Dense, moist and not the slightest bit crumbly and dry- exactly what I wanted. All the cake was sold and I hope it was thoroughly enjoyed by all who bought a piece. After this good start I am definetely going to have a go at more gluten free baking in the future....watch this space!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images