Book Review: The Great British Book of Baking

16:17


For the past couple of months I have been watching The Great British Bake Off, a series by the BBC which tested the baking skills of ten home bakers from around the UK to see who would win the title of the best amateur baker. The competition was judged by Paul Hollywood, a famous baker, and Mary Berry, a well known baking writer. The contestents travelled to different places in the UK and were faced with various baking challenges each week including cakes, bread and pastry. It was so nice to watch people with the same passions as me and follow their journey as they progressed over the weeks. I was very happy to see both Ruth and Edd in the final, as they were my favourite two from the beginning! The final episode was very nerve racking but in the end it was Edd who the title, although both contestants equally deserved it :) I was also very happy to find out that Both Ruth and Edd both have their own blogs (see links at the end of this post) and I can't wait to try out some of their recipes!

The judges- Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry

 
Now onto the actual recipe book... I actually found the content to be a little disappointing, although it is a lovely presented book with beautiful pictures and a lot of recipes (120 in total). It has plenty of traditional English recipes which is great but I guess most of them I have seen before so there wasn't much in the book that was new to me! I suppose I would have liked to see more recipes from the contestents as some of the things they made on the show were really interesting and different. Overall, I would say this book is still worth purchasing, especially if you don't have any old English baking books like me! I bought mine off Amazon for £10 which I thought was a very reasonable price for a hardback book, especially since the RRP is £20!

Edd Kimber- The winner!

I really hope there will be more baking programmes hitting our screens soon because life just isn't the same without my weekly dose of tv baking fun!
You can check out Ruth and Edd's blogs' here:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images