Summer time!

16:22

Gooseberry Pie

I finished my college exams at the end of April and since then I've had a lot of free time on my hands. To help conquer my boredom my mum suggested I pick the gooseberries that we have out in the garden. This actually turned out to be quite an enjoyable task and I managed to get about about 0.5kg, enough to make a fresh gooseberry pie!


Delia has a great one crust gooseberry pie recipe which is extremely easy to make as there is no need to line a pie tin or make a pastry lid. However, as my pastry skills are slowly improving and I like to keep practising, I decided to make my pie in a fluted tin. Once I had lined the tin with pastry, I brushed the base with egg yolk then sprinkled it with semolina- a tip of Delias to stop the fruit juices making the pastry soggy. I used my leftover pastry to cut out long strips and create a lattice topping. Finally I sprinkled the whole thing with granulated sugar for that extra crunch.


I served the pie with my homemade ice cream, which contrasted beautifully with the sharpness of the gooseberries. I was quite suprised how well this went down, as gooseberries aren't always that popular with everyone. However, my family aren't exactly the fussy type!


You can find the recipe for Delia's one crust pie here

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images